Dermatographism Survey Results
Below are the dermatographism survey results on the causes of dermatographism. This data was compiled from suffers of dermatographism that have visited the healthy-skincare.com website.
Please return often for updated survey stats and comments on the data from healthy-skincare.com and healthy-skincare.com visitors.
Are you a male or female?
Survey Results for Age Group
Dermatographism Survey Results for What do you think caused your Dermatographism?
Dermatographism Survey Results for - Other than pressure or friction what causes you to have a hives breakout?
Dermatographism Survey Results - Readers Comments on Dermatographism Causes
- I looked at the dermatographism survey results and I really don't know what caused it. I went to Peru 9 years ago and that is when the itching started and it has continued and gotten worse. I have been to a lot of doctors and they don't know what to do about it so I just take Claritin and that helps a lot.
- I believe mine started when I got a bad dose of a stomach bug, I think it was called the rota bug virus.
- I have had this condition my entire life. No one in my family has it.
- My dermatagraphism and its affects began after a bee sting. I worked at a coal power plant.
- It developed around the same time I developed seasonal allergies, so I'm not sure that it's anything in particular, just my body changing as I grow older.
- I did have shoulder surgery a year ago but I got this 5 months ago. My doctor thinks it is caused by aspirin. I really do not know what caused it. I do have metal clips in my shoulder from the surgery, so maybe it is that.
- It started around the time I entered puberty.
- I don't know what started it, it seemed to show up after I stopped my allergy shots.
- Shortly after having a metal plate put in my arm the symptoms started.
- Celiac Disease and complications.
- I think that it is an indirect allergic reaction.
- No idea. I only started noticing it when I joined a gym around 2000.
- Some kind of allergy to a plant of some sort - like some kind of tree, something airborn, or because of the sun and humidity.
- Tattoo laser removal - possobly due to the break up of the ink into my blood stream.
- My maternal grandmother and my mother were always itchy. My brother says he is very itchy as well. None were ever diagnosed but just scratched. I have also had several major surgeries, used antibiotrics and anti-inflamatories, hormone therapy, fungal infections, but have had the itching problem before any of these things.
- After taking antibiotics, I began to experience symptoms of dermatographism weeks later. The itching was unbearable. Then I acquired adult pox for which the signs still remain a year later. I have been living with dermatographism for over 2 years.
- Aspirin, ibuprofen, made in China shoes, clothing.
- Hepatitis C.
- Atopy - allergy response in the body with no direct contact with the allergen.
- Do not know. (6 responses)
- Irregular sleep pattern.
- Possible pet hair.
- Lyme disease.
- Temperature changes.
- Hay fever.
- After looking at these dermatographism survey results, I have no idea. All I know is it started quite a long time ago. I know now that I am gluten intolerant and that I have other food sensitivities yet unidentified. I also have seasonal allergies, but don't know the cause. I also have fibromyalgia, arthritis and collagenous colitis, all involving inflammatory reactions.
- My daughter developed dermatographism after 2 different doctors prescribed several different antibiotics in a row for a sinus infection. Now she has daily itches and swelling, especially at about 9 or 10pm. She also develops welts following antibiotics or pain killers which she can no longer take. I also stopped using western medical doctors who do not understand that she cannot take any. The only treatment for a really itchy-swelly episode is dye-free Benadryl. We are going to a naturopathic physician who specializes in allergies to see if there is a cure.
- HPV - but I have not been diagnosed with cancer. I had a kidney removed when I was 5 and I was very sick. Yeast built up in the kidney and killed it. Only 3 months before my first major itch attack, I was bit by a spider on my neck. It was just a pimple until it made my entire neck swell up and the spot became infected and caused a small area of necrosis and it took a long time to heal. I also have eczema on my hands and feet which fluctuates in intensity
- I have a skin allergy to sun screen. Even coming in contact with an object that has sun screen on it causes me to have a severe reaction that can last up to six weeks, spreading over my arms and legs, if left untreated. When given a large dose of Motrin by the doctor over several months (about 15 yrs ago), I developed a skin allergy in the form of a fine rash over my arms and legs. When the cause of this rash was discovered, it disappeared within days of stopping use of the Motrin. If I don't come into contact with sunscreen (and I haven't taken Motrin or other similar drugs since the isolated incident above), I am fine. Both sun screen and Motrin contain salicylic acid, so I have avoided products containing these substances and have been successful in avoiding skin problems until the appearance of dermatographism a few months ago.
Dermatographism Survey Results - Readers Comments on What Aggravates their Dermatographism
- I don't know. I have been tested for food allergies but I haven't eliminated those foods to find out if that would eliminate the problem.
- After drinking alcohol I am usually itchier the next morning. I would say my main trigger is water, not just tap water but also the ocean and fresh water rivers etc.
- Coffee in general, regular and decaf seem to make my dermatagraphism flare.
- Whenever I change my clothes I seem to have a breakout, but I guess you could call that friction.
- Have not been able to pinpoint any one food or drink.
- Sudden change in temperature i.e. going indoors during winter.
- Cold temperatures.
- Certain beers.
- Simply scracthing myself, or rough contact with my skin.
- Allergy season.
- Itching and during the night.
- Possibly heat since this condition developed with the onset of warmer weather.
- Paper products.
- Itching starts during night after dinner.
- New clothes. Trying on clothes. Damp air for too long. Overheating during exercise.
Other dermatographism information:
symptoms | causes | diagnosis | treatments | pictures | dermographism diary | readers submissions | survey | dermatographism survey results
Visit this: Pictures of Rashes Page